Quiz: Civil Engineering
Topic: Building & Construction Material
Each question carries 1 mark
Negative marking: 1/4 mark
Time: 10 Minutes
Q1. The type of aggregates not suitable for high strength concrete and for pavements subjected to tension is
(a) Round aggregates
(b) Irregular aggregates
(c) Angular aggregates
(d) Flaky aggregates
Q2. When observed efflorescence is more than 10% but less than 50% of the exposed area, it is:
(a) Moderate efflorescence
(b) Serious efflorescence
(c) Heavy efflorescence
(d) Light efflorescence
Q3. Consider the following statements:
- IS 3583 refers to burnt clay Paving bricks.
- IS 5779 refers to burnt clay Soling bricks.
- IS 3952 refers to burnt clay Hollow bricks.
- IS 2222 refers to burnt clay Lay bricks.
Which of the above statements are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 1, 2 and 4 only
(c) 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
Q4. “Vee-Bee” consistometer is used to find ______of concrete.
(b) Compressive strength
(c) Flexural behaviour
Q5. Match list-I (admixtures) with list – II (chemicals) and select the correct answer using the codes given below the lists
List – I
- Water – reducing admixture
- Air-entraining agent
List – II
- Modified lignosulphonate
- Tri-ethanol Amine
- Polyglycol ester
- Aluminum powder
A B C D
(a) 2 4 1 3
(b) 1 3 4 2
(c) 3 4 1 2
(d) 3 4 2 1
Q6. The major constituent in Argillaceous rocks
(d) Granite powder
Q7. Pick up the correct statement from the following method of sawing timber
(a) Tangentially to annual rings, is known as tangential method
(b) In four quarters such that each board cuts annual rings at angles not less than 45°, is known as quarter sawing method.
(c) Cut out of quarter logs, parallel to the medullary rays and perpendicular to annual rings is known as radial sawing
(d) All option are correct
Q8. Consider the following characteristics regarding timber;
- Stronger variety
- Ability to take very smooth finish
- Difficult to season
Which of the above characteristics is/are essential for timber to be used as beams?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 1 and 3
Q9. The process of adding the cement in order to improve the quality of mortar is known as __.
Q10. In which classification the Semi-hydraulic lime falls?
(a) Class A
(b) Class B
(c) Class C
(d) Class D
Sol. Rounded aggregates have poor interlocking bond hence they are not suitable for high strength concrete and pavements subjected to tension.
• For slight efflorescence, it should not cover more than 10% Area of exposed surface.
• For moderate efflorescence, it should cover more than 10% but less than 50% of the exposed surface.
• For heavy efflorescence, it should cover more than 50% area of the exposed surface.
Sol. Burnt clay Paving bricks → IS 3583
Burnt clay Soling bricks → IS 5779
Burnt clay Hollow bricks → IS 3952
Burnt clay Perforated bricks → IS 2222
Sol. Vee-Bee consistometer is used to find the workability of concrete. This test is suitable for low or very value of workability having the value of slump limited to 50mm.
• Lignosulphonate, polyglycol ester and carboxylic acid are water reducing admixtures
• Aluminum powder, neutralized vinsol resin are an air-entraining agent.
• Sulphonated melanin formaldehyde, modified lignosulphonate are superplasticizer.
• Calcium chloride, NaOH and tri-ethanol amine are accelerators.
Sol. Argillaceous rock → In these rocks, the major constituent is clay. These are brittle in nature and can’t withstand shock.
Ex. Laterite, slates, kaoline.
Siliceous rocks → In these rocks, silica is predominates. They are hard and durable.
Ex. Granite, sandstone. Quartzite.
Sol. All statements are correct.
• Tangentially to annual rings, is known as tangential method.
• In four quarters such that each board cuts annual rings at angles not less than 45°, is known as quarter sawing method.
• Cut out of quarter logs, parallel to the medullary rays and perpendicular to annual rings is known as radial sawing.
Sol. The timber used as beams should be enough strong and tough. It should be easier to season.
Sol. The process of adding the cement in order to improve the quality of mortar is known as gauging. It results in more economical, denser and stronger lime mortar is called as gauged mortar. The proportion of cement to lime by volume is about 1:6 to 1:8.
Sol. Class A → Eminently hydraulic lime
Class B → Semi-hydraulic lime
Class C → Fat lime
Class D → Dolomite lime