GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted every year for the candidates aspiring to take admission in the top IITs of India. Candidates cracking through the exam are eligible to get admission in the course of M.E or M.Tech in any of the renowned IITs of the country.
Applying for GATE
To apply for the GATE examination, the candidates need to have a qualifying degree of B.E or B.Tech. Candidates in the final year of the degree can be also considered if there are no backouts as of such.
There is no such age limit considered for the candidates who wish to sit for this exam.
Candidates who have successfully attained the cut off marks are only eligible to go for the next level and that is the interview round based on which they can get placed in different IITs of the country.
How tough is the GATE exam?
The toughness of cracking the GATE exam depends upon person to person and how they have been preparing for the exam. No doubt, it is a difficult test as each year lakhs of candidates apply for the exam for just a few seats that are available in the IIT colleges. Also, there are a number of times when the candidates may not get admission in the desired college due to the lack of marks obtained in the exam.
But this does not mean that the exam cannot be cracked. Also, there are many candidates who have prepared for the exam within a year and have appeared for it and have cracked it to get admission in the IIT College that they have desired for.
Preparation tips for GATE
Here are some of the preparation tips that can surely help the candidates in getting through the GATE by preparing within a year.
- Check through the syllabus for GATE rigorously so that the best reference books and modules can be bought. One of the best ways is to get registered or admitted to a good coaching center where professional preparation for the exam can be offered.
- The syllabus for GATE is vast and comprises of a huge list of subjects such as Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mathematics, Mining Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Statistics, Life Sciences, Geology, Food Technology, and many more. Hence, it is important to prepare a proper time table so that all the subjects and topics can be provided equal time and the preparation can get completed within the expected time. Devoting about 10-12 hours a day on fair studying based on the set routine can always help in getting the preparation done in the right way.
- It is important to explore the weak sections so that extra time can be devoted to these topics and subjects so that proper preparations can be done.
- Apart from completing the syllabus, it is also important to regularly practice the mock test papers and last year’s question paper. This will allow the candidate in getting familiar with the question paper and the candidates will get the practice of completing the question paper within the set time.
- Candidates should make sure that the syllabus is completed much before the exam, such as a week or 10 days. At this particular time, the candidates should relax and should get all the leftover doubts cleared to gain confidence. Even spending 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening on test papers is a great idea. The rest time should be used in relaxing the mind.
Cracking GATE is difficult. But it can be cracked with a year’s preparation if proper strategies and planning are involved.